FIVERR U.S ENGLISH BASIC SKILLS TEST ANSWERS 2020
Fill in the blank with the correct word.
1. The condition of the merchandise was unacceptable, so I demanded that they give me my money _____.
2. If Ms. Hernandez _____ for many years at an ad agency, she wouldn’t have so many clients as an independent contractor.
- didn’t work
- hadn’t worked
- wouldn’t have worked
- doesn’t work
3. We usually start with the marketing phase, even if we are not finished _____ the development of the product.
4. Out of all of us, Jose was the one _____ scored the highest on the exam.
5. I’ve never seen specifications as detailed as _____.
6. If Brandon finishes his work by 5:00, he _____ us at the Rosewood Cafe.
- would meet
- will meet
7. The budget report for last year was very _____ researched.
8. Ms. Arguello never expected that her podcast would be _____ popular.
9. If Rebecca had sent the replacement part for the copier, we _____ it yesterday.
- would have received
- would receive
- had received
10. We are looking to hire someone who has a strong _____ in management.
11. Hiring freelancers is not _____ expensive as bringing in a new employee.
12. How _____ from the airport to the hotel?
- you got
- did you get
- got you
- you did get
13. Many people have difficulty _____ the entrance examination for IT courses at the Snell Institute.
- to pass
- on pass
14. No one has yet succeeded _____ improving on Ms. Glaser’s original design for our company’s logo.
15. _____ someone sends me a text, I get back to them within 10 minutes.
- Even though
- No matter how
16. Mr. Mettner said that he _____ the security deposit for the apartment.
- hasn’t yet received
- hadn’t yet received
- isn’t yet receiving
- didn’t yet receive
17. Martin Beale _____ all of the legal matters for RTG Plastics Inc.
18. By next February Roger ______ at his new job for six months.
- will work
- will have been working
- will working
- will be working
19. If you are in town next week, we should have _____ together.
- a dinner
- an dinner
- the dinner
20. People will be able to set up websites by _____ because the platform is so simple.
21. The factory floor supervisor started the generator _____ the power had gone out.
22. Ms. Fiallos was not _____ for the truck driver position because she did not have a valid driver’s licence.
23. When she discovered the briefcase didn’t belong to her, she tried to find out _____ it was.
24. Sites like Uploadithere.com are _____ way to send large documents.
- a best
- the best
- one best
25. The bulky frame made the picture _____ heavy to hang on the wall.
26. _____ Wednesday, two of the key people on the design team called in sick.
27. When _____ us the final draft of the report?
- you send
- you will send
- send you
- will you send
28. Robert will stay at the job site until 6pm unless Tony _____ to replace him first.
- would come
- had come
29. Mr. Weiss considers his company’s move to Canada to be _____.
30. Try to guess the definition of a word without looking it _____ in the dictionary.
31. The amount of _____ housing in the southern part of the city has increased in the last five years.
32. Russell doesn’t usually work on weekends. _____, he will make an exception for this client.
33. _____ of us are going anywhere this weekend because there is too much work to do.
- No one
34. The manufacturing operation _____ smoothly while Ms. Kurtz was on vacation.
- has run
- is running
35. Choose the phrase that has the correct punctuation.
First I will send you the document ________________
- . Then I will bill you.
- : then I will bill you.
- ; then I will bill you.
- then I will bill you.
36. Luckily, Mona remembered _____ an extra set of keys to give to Max.
- to bring
- about bringing
37. Who _____ to inform him that his bid for the apartment renovation had been accepted?
- Eric called
- Did Eric call
- Did call Eric
- Called Eric
38. Which of the following sentences is punctuated correctly?
- “I can get you to the airport in fifteen minutes the taxi driver said.”
- “I can get you to the airport in fifteen minutes.” The taxi driver said.
- “I can get you to the airport in fifteen minutes” the taxi driver said.
- “I can get you to the airport in fifteen minutes,” the taxi driver said.
39. After an hour, the mechanic was able to pull the tire _____ of the wheel.
40. It’s important to put _____ into _____ of any new project.
- time, planning
- the time, the planning
- the time, planning
- time, the planning
41. Please forgive me _____ not informing you about the problems we were having with the new software.
42. _____ sent you to deliver the printer?
43. No one has figured out exactly _____ caused the power failure.
44. ___ twelve years, Opal Systems has been designing operating systems for government institutions.
45. Ricardo’s boss _____ him telling the client how to use the software.
46. The committee _____ the job of quality control to Karl Mertz.
47. If I _____ my vacation in March, I never would have met Mr. Edwards.
- would take
- had taken
48. Most people prefer sleeping at home _____ sleeping on an airplane.
49. Mr. Ibanez gave _____ calling Mr. Hansen after Mr. Hansen never responded to his messages.
50. Tomas decided to visit _____ sisters in Amsterdam in April.
51. _____ happened after I left work yesterday?
52. Please continue to use the front entrance _____ a delivery is too large to fit through the door.
53. Ms. Elkin had two bags with her when she arrived, _____?
- hadn’t she
- had she
- didn’t she
- did she
54. The new operating system should significantly reduce the _____ of time it takes to upload documents.
55. _____ the switch on the back of the machine do?
- Which does
- What does
56. The _____ for submissions to the design competition is March 3.
57. Monday is a holiday, _____ Emily will contact you on Tuesday.
58. _____ our supplier’s shipment was late, I managed to get most of the order ready.
59. Which of the following sentences is punctuated correctly?
- The lunch truck arrived with nothing more than a hamburger three hot dogs and an apple turnover.
- The lunch truck arrived with nothing more than a hamburger, three hot dogs, and an apple turnover.
- The lunch truck arrived with nothing more than, a hamburger, three hot dogs, and an apple turnover.
- The lunch truck arrived with nothing more than a hamburger, three hot dogs and, an apple turnover.
60. Ms. Costas depends _____ three major accounts for most of her business.
61. Which of the following sentences is punctuated correctly?
- Everyone in the copywriting department always checks each other’s work.
- Everyone in the copywriting department always checks each others’ work.
- Everyone in the copywriting department, always checks eachother’s work.
- Everyone in the copywriting department always checks each others work.
62. A huge traffic jam prevented Lila _____ getting to the airport on time.
63. Mr. Yee shops at _____ hardware store in his area.
- an only
- the only
- a only
64. _____________, I will have the report done by next week.
- Either I take on another job or not
- Whenever I take on another job or not
- Whether I take on another job or not
- Neither I take on another job or not
65. _____ is an important ingredient in any soup.
- The salt
- A salt
- Some salt
66. Now that Ms. Brecht has retired, we all agree it will be difficult to _____ her.
67. The results of the study were inconclusive. _____, more research needs to be done.
68. Which of the following sentences is punctuated correctly?
- Sam’ dad’s truck was found without its wheels.
- Sam’s dad’s truck was found without its wheels.
- Sams dads truck was found without its wheels.
- Sam’s dad’s truck was found without it’s wheels.
69. Our marketing strategy is based on _____ experience.
- either data or
- both data and
- neither data nor
- not only data also
70. My _____ hard drive is infected with a virus.
71. When Richard arrived at the studio, Nancy _____ the lights for the film shoot.
- has set up
- set up
- had set up
- was setting up
72. There are two things you will need to complete this _____ a pair of pliers and a drill.
73. Ms. Lin is _____ careful about criticising other people’s work.
- None of the above
74. There are no restaurants anywhere near the factory, _____?
- there are
- are there
- there aren’t
- aren’t there
75. Leila and Rico moved to Spain, _____ they started a consulting business.
76. I usually don’t drink _____, but _____ they serve at Tom’s Diner is delicious.
- the coffee, the coffee
- coffee, the coffee
- coffee, coffee
- the coffee, coffee
77. If someone _____ Ms.Langston in advance, she always gives a 5% discount.
- had paid
- would pay
78. PismoCorp spent _____ little on the renovation of their Berlin headquarters.
- None of the above
79. Five months after he was laid off, Javier succeeded _____ another job.
- to find
- at finding
- in finding
- on find
80. _____ owns the red truck in the parking lot must move it by 2:30.
81. Jenny spent ten minutes trying to sort out _____ jacket was _____.
- whose, her
- which, her
- whose, hers
- which, hers
82. We decided _____ going to this year’s trade fair in Mumbai because we were too busy with current projects.
83. I _____ six commercial jingles in the last 3 weeks.
- am composing
- was composing
- have composed
84. The Vice President _____ a meeting of the senior officers to discuss next year’s budget.
85. Which of the following sentences is punctuated correctly?
- The only computer, in the office that was new, was a laptop.
- The only computer in the office, that was new was a laptop.
- The only computer in the office that was new was a laptop.
- The only computer, in the office that was new was a laptop.
86. If I _____ how to get there, I would walk there by myself.
- would know
- had known
87. Right at this moment, Leon _____ the delivery truck to the storage facility.
- will drive
- is driving
- has driven
88. That car, __________ owner was arrested by the police, has been parked there ever since. Two of __________ tyres have been stolen.
- who’s, his
- whose, it’s
- whose, its
- who’s, its
89. Rearrange the following words to create the most logical and grammatically correct sentence.
- home learns its it’s that the to find important kitten way
- It’s the kitten that learns important to find its way home.
- The kitten learns it’s important that to find its way home.
- It’s important that the kitten learns to find its way home
- The kitten learns that its way home it’s important to find.
90. Are _______ _______ kids? I haven’t met _______ for ages!
- them, your, them
- those, my, you
- those, your, them
- they, my, her
91. Peter was __________ after buying his new bike. He rode it __________ because he didn’t want to reach the class __________.
- extremely happy, fastly, late
- extreme happy, fast, lately
- extreme happy, fastly, lately
- extremely happy, fast, late
92. Your friends host a party and someone leaves behind a phone. Which of the following is correct?
- Whose phone was left at my friends house?
- Who’s phone was left at my friend’s house?
- Who’s phone was left at my friends’ house?
- Whose phone was left at my friends’ house?
93. I will not oppose your decision. I cannot, _________, approve it.
94. Mark _________ us yesterday.
- called out
- called in
- called on
- called into
95. Start exercising now. You and ________ partner need to prepare ________ for next month’s marathon.
- my, themselves
- your, yourselves
- your, themselves
- my, yourself
96. Will you be able to translate this document ______ French?
- Any of the above can be used.
97. There’s always a risk _______ an earthquake in Japan. It’s difficult to concentrate _______ your work, when you know there could be a disaster any minute.
- of, in
- about, on
- for, about
- of, on
98. Select the sentence that is punctuated most accurately.
- Mushrooms grow very quickly; in fact, after a good rain, it takes only a few hours and you can start picking them.
- Mushrooms grow very quickly. In fact, after a good rain it takes only a few hours; and you can start picking them.
- Mushrooms grow very quickly in fact. After a good rain; it takes only a few hours and you can start picking them.
- Mushrooms grow very quickly; in fact after a good rain it takes only a few hours and you can start picking them.
99. Complete the following sentence by choosing the phrase with the best word order from the options given.
One thing I know about him ____________ .
- is that he reads often books.
- that is he reads often books.
- that is he often reads books.
- is that he often reads books.
100. Which of the following sentences illustrate(s) correct verb and verb tense usage?
- Joan had never fallen in love until she had met Carl last year.
- We have been waiting for the bus for nearly half an hour, but it has still not arrived.
- When the old woman had heard that her son was arrested for robbery, she was shocked.
- While the kids were playing by the pool, one of them was dropping his ball and trying to get it out
Update: More Questions and Answers for U.S. English Basic Skills Test 2020
101. Change the following sentence from a quotation to indirect speech.
- My friend said, “I must leave as soon as possible.”
- My friend said that he must leave as soon as possible.
- My friend said that I must leave as soon as possible.
- My friend said that he must have left as soon as possible.
- My friend said that he left as soon as possible.
102. I _______ my entire childhood in a village in India.
- have spent
- had spent
103. My headphones are ________ bad shape. I need to invest ________ some new ones.
- in, on
- in, in
- of, for
- at, into
104. Which of the following sentences illustrates the proper use of apostrophes?
- In two weeks’ time you’ll have to begin school again
- Its such a beautiful day that Ive decided to take skip work.
- The dogs bark was far worse than its bite.
- Bristols’ harbour is one of the countrys’ most beautiful.
105. Which of the following sentences illustrates correct verb and verb-tense usage?
- I loved reading detective novels when I was a kid. By the time I was ten, I had read all the Sherlock Holmes stories.
- Make sure you lock your room before you will go out.
- I don’t like being disturbed when I was working.
- By this time next year, I have finished my MBA.
106. Which of the following sentences is NOT punctuated correctly?
- All of the apple’s at the grocer’s were rotten. so I bought oranges instead.
- “Seven canteens full of water should be enough for the hike,” said Tabitha.
- Until the stove is fixed, there’s no way I can bake a lemon meringue pie.
- The woman, whose name escapes me at the moment, disappeared into the limousine.
107. Rearrange the following words to create the most logical and grammatically correct sentence.
- ordinary accidents year items by every of are thousands caused
- Thousands of accidents by ordinary items are caused every year.
- Ordinary items every year are caused by thousands of accidents.
- Every year thousands of accidents are caused by ordinary items.
- Every year by ordinary items thousands of accidents are caused.
109. Which of the following sentences illustrates correct pronoun usage?
- Him and I are going to see a movie tomorrow.
- Who’s coming to the party tonight?
- Isabel and Ben are married and he has been married for 30 years.
- A student can do almost anything they want without interference.
110. Choose the series of articles and conjunctions that best completes the following sentence.
I love _______ color red; _________, this shade seems a little too bright.
- the, although
- the, nonetheless
- a, besides
- the, instead
111. The cake is delicious. Can I have ____________?
- a few more
- few more
- little more
- some more
112. Which of the following sentences illustrates proper sentence structure?
- Unless the world controls its population, mankind will continue to face one problem after another.
- Unless the world doesn’t control its population, mankind will continue to face one problem after another.
- Unless the world controls its population, until then mankind will continue to face one problem after another.
- Unless the world fails to control its population, mankind until then will continue to face one problem after another.
113. Complete the following sentence by choosing the phrase with the best word order from the options given.
_____________, I try to keep a positive attitude
- Either I am feeling happy or sad
- Whenever I am feeling happy or sad
- Whether I am feeling happy or sad
- Neither I am feeling happy nor sad
114. Which of the following sentences illustrates proper sentence structure?
- The basket was carried by a boy full of fruits.
- The queen wore a hat on her head made of jute.
- Aunt Betty called her granddaughter who is over ninety.
- Your hair badly needs cutting.